Saturday 29 November 2008

Saturday 29th November, A Snowy Playground today

We had more snow on Friday in the Lakes and it has turned into a snowy playground today, with clear blue skies and almost no wind. I took the opportunity to go up onto Kentmere Horseshoe today and do a partial round due to other commitments today.

My winter walking boots had their first outing of the season today although it proved not to be nessessary as the snow had not consolidated overnight and was still powdery.
I left the car at Kentmere Church and headed up the Garburn Pass to my first top Castle Crag before an easy walk to the second top Yoke. After a short descent and a nice walk along the ridge line this took me to my final top for today Ill Bell. The views were stunning and the south Lakes seemed to have more snow than the other areas. For such a nice day the fells were surprisingly quiet. By mid morning the temperature had risen considerably and snow and ice was starting to melt underfoot and as I descended back into Kentmere the lower slopes were almost free of snow.


Another nice day on the hills.

No comments:

Blog Archive



Show/Hide Navigation