Sunday 19 April 2009

Saturday 18th April, Pillar and Great Gable

I decided to go for a walk over to the far western fells today. Conditions were good with clear blue skies, little wind and good visibility. My starting point was the Youth Hostel near the old mines at Honnister. From there I headed out over Moses trod towards the remote Black Sail YH in Ennerdale valley. It was very quiet in Ennerdale and after a short break by the river A long pull back up took me to Black Sail Pass. My route then headed toward Pillar but via the climbers high route to Robinsons Cairn. The views over to Pillar Rock were very clear and I made my way up the ramp to the balcony overlooking Pillar Rock to watch some climbers. Another steep pull up the ridge soon put me on the summit of Pillar with views over to Scotland.

From here I headed back toward Black Sail Pass before starting the rocky ascent up onto Kirk Fell. A short walk from here and I was at the foot of Great Gable and another rough rocky ascent. The route from here back to Honister invovled picking off a few more tops in Green Gable, Brandeth and Grey Knotts before dropping down to the old mines at Honnister YH.

A nice little walk, a good warm up for tonights navigation session with Jo.

No comments:

Blog Archive



Show/Hide Navigation